World Map

World Map

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Milan, Italy...

This morning while Ken went to the airport to pick up Marybeth, I got an early 7:30am start exploring Milan.  The hotel is about a 45 minute walk to the city center with lots of cafes along the route.  I think I was drunk on espresso by 9:30.  Double espressos average about only .80 EUR so I tried several along the way - did I mention I like coffee?

I had to pass through what I imagine is the main park in Milan.  There is a huge castle that dates back to the 13 century at the end near the city centre.  I walked around checking it ou - I may go back later to visit the museum which you had to pay to see.  The downtown area is a mix of tourist sights and commercial business - also lots of cafes, restaurants and shops.  I stopped for a delicious olive baguette, fruit pastry and of course another espresso doppio.  Later I found a gelato stand and had a pistachio - delicious!  All before 10:30am!  I would say I could go into a food coma in Italy if it weren't for the espresso to keep the motor humming.

I walked back to the hotel and met Ken and Marybeth for lunch.  We then walked back through the Park and into downtown Milan - second time for me in a just half a day.  This time there were crowds of tourists flooding the streets.  I'm glad I got to see it earlier with less crowds.

So yesterday we discovered our frien Margaret from Vail was also in Milan so we made plans to meet up that evening.  It was fun catching up with Margaret and meeting her friends.  We hung out in their neighborhood for a few hours and then found some Pizza to cap off the evening- good day in Milan!

Entrance to the park.

Milan Castle.

Cathedral.

The lucky bull.

Expensive shops here.

Hanging out with Margaret, Pam and Sandy.

No comments: