World Map

World Map

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Switzerland...

We got into Switzerland last night and found a nice campground next to a lake about 20 km outside Lucerne.  We rode down the eastern part of France from Strasbourg which was very rural and beautiful - even rode through a few vineyards.  This morning we rode through Lucerne.  I was looking forward to seeing Lucerne again after 33 years - it looks just like I remembered.  I remember when I was 16 and thinking that this must be the most beautiful city on earth.  Now after visiting again - it may well be.  This is the only specific place on this trip that I had visited before.  I made a point to come back because of the lasting impression it has had on me from so long ago.  We only had time to pass through as we had to be in Milan this evening but - I will visit Lucerne again someday soon.

Th ride through the Swiss Alps is indescribable - the mountains are that dramatic and beautiful.  It's hard to keep your eyes on the road - which is very necessary with all the hairpin turns.  We rode two major passes - the second down a cobblestone road built in the early 1800's.  Such a memorable experience to ride a motorcycle down through Switzerland.

We arrive into Milan around 5:30pm - as usual.  But this time coming into a major city at rush hour was relatively painless.  We didn't get stuck in any traffic jams and found the hotel easily.  Marybeth will be flying in tomorrow morning - Ken is pretty excited.  The hotel is very nice - way nicer than anything we have stayed I on the trip.  Soon after we settled in we made contact with Cristiano who we had met along with his wife Sabrina in  Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia.  We met up at a pub down the street from the hotel and enjoyed a few beers and pasta together.  Sabrina had some dental work done that morning so was unable to join.  We will see Cristiano again and hopefully Sabrina tomorrow evening.

Tomorrow Ken will head to the airport to meet Marybeth.  I will explore the Milan city centre in e morning and hopefully get some new tires on the bike later in the day.  After 10,000 miles on this set it is time for a change.  I may also have my rear shock looked at as it has begun to leak oil.  The pounding has finally taken its toll.  Not sure what I will do Friday and Saturday.  Marybeth is here until Monday so Ken has his deck full.  I may ride to Venice and Croatia on Friday and Saturday and return to Milano Sunday afternoon - or maybe head back to Switzerland and ride some more mountain passes.  I'll probably just check which way has the best weather forecast on Friday morning and just go - choices are good!

Just outside Lucerne.

Lucerne.

More Lucerne.

The old road.

One of the two passes we rode.

Top of the world.

No comments: