World Map

World Map

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Back in the USA...

So I am here in Boston waiting for my 7:40pm flight to Denver.  My 5 hour layover turned into 4 since my flight from Dublin to Boston was delayed.  It is really sinking in now that the adventure is over. I am here in Boston and my bike is still back at the port in Liverpool - a strange feeling.  I guess the consolation prize will be sleeping in my own bed tonight - after 20 hours of traveling today it will undoubtably feel pretty nice.  

The plane ride was pretty uneventful - but the security/customs/pre-clearance process in Dublin was a cluster.  It was taking people 3 hours to get through - hence the delayed flights.  Ken's flight to DC was delayed as well due to the customs problems.  Apparently the U.S. pre-clearance in Dublin was understaffed.  My Global Entry access probably saved me an hour in lines but I still had two hours of lines to wait in.

My seat mate on the flight was Belinda - a professor at Boston University.  It was nice chatting with her off and on throughout the flight.  You don't want to get stuck with a bad seat mate on a 6.5 hour flight and I certainly didn't.  

I will get into Denver (hopefully) at 10:10pm - then a two hour ride up the mountain.  Lots of time to reflect but mostly feeling a bit down that the journey is over.  Time to start prepping for the next adventure in less than two months - 25 days on the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon.

The day it began over three months ago - riding out from the farm...

2 comments:

Harmon Rocket II said...

Hi Chip! Ken's cousin, Sheila, here and I have to say you did a stellar jobkeeping a trip blog. I only wish I had known about it sooner to keep up with y'all as the journey progressed instead of spending my Sunday afternoon reading through backwards to the beginning. Thanks for the ride.

Kris Flatt said...

Hi Chip

It's Kris from Jesse Luggage. We want to add world travelers to our website. Can you send me your email address? If so please email me at kris@jesseluggage.com