World Map

World Map

Monday, September 22, 2014

Audi World Headquarters & Museum...

We left Munich on Monday morning and headed north.  We were hoping for nicer weather as it has rained for 4 straight days.  All the camping gear got put away wet - which I hate.  I don't mind so much sleeping in the tent when it's raining but setting up and breaking down wet sucks.  The rain has actually has been nice while sleeping as it helps drown out the screaming obnoxious Aussies that carry on until 6 am.  The ride to Audi was actually dry which was nice - but the air was quite cold.

The Audi museum was quite a bit different than BMW.  The BMW museum was very artsy in its architecture and displays.  Audi was a bit more toned down and reserved with the cars and motorcycles as the stars.  I think that's why I like Audi cars more than BMW - the refined quality without so much of the flash.  I'm sure most people would prefer the BMW museum over Audi - admittedly it was a better showcase.  I just like Audi cars better.  

Soon after we left and headed west towards Strasbourg, France the skies opened up again and we got soaked.  We pretty much rode in rain for 3 straights hours.  My hands were freezing - the handwarmers on my bike have not been working since Mingolia.  There has only been a handful of days that I have needed them since then - and today was one of them.

We were wet and the sun was beginning to set so we stopped in a small town called Schorndorf to find a hotel.  We found a cool little mom and pop place after passing on the first option into town.  The 90 EUR per night was a bit over our normal budget but we needed to stop and it probably wasn't going to get cheaper further west.  We has just paid over $8 per gallon for gas so knew Germany was not cheap.  Luckily our camp in Munich was only $56 each for 4 nights so we were doing ok since getting into Germany - plus the bikes had been parked for 3 days so no gas getting burned.

Tomorrow we will meet my dad and stepmom Sylvia for lunch in Strasbourg - they will be finishing a Rhine River cruise from Amsterdam there in the morning.  The weather is supposed to be nice.  I hope the forecast is right - I'm sick of being wet all the time.

Audi corporate headquarters.

Early production motorbikes.

One of the first moped bikes.

First full production motorbike.

The Quattro.

1990 Audi 200 - I had one in red.

The Inline 5 cylinder 20 Valve Turbo - possibly the best engine Audi ever produced.

A couple of present day RS's sitting out front - bad ass!




No comments: