World Map

World Map

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Rijeka, Croatia...

I rode all afternoon across eastern Italy and then down through Slovania to Croatia.  It was long way to go to just have a few hours of daylight and stay overnight but I had it in my head that I wanted to see Croatia.  The ride was very nice - except for the Italian Autostrada tolls.  I don't know how anyone can afford to drive here - between the tolls and gas prices it's a small fortune.  It's going to be a total of $150 USD in tolls by the time I get back to Milan.  If I had more time I would just take the back roads which are more enjoyable anyway - but I didn't have the time.  

Rijeka is right on the coast and has beaches and Marinas with the city built up the hillside.  It's pretty but I didn't want to stay in the city - I found a campground about 25 km in the outskirts.  I met a guy from Turkey at the campground that flew fighter planes for the military.  He had a 20 day leave so was riding to Italy and back.  We shared a few stories and beers together at the camp restaurant/bar.  The campgrounds in Europe seem to have much more amenities than I'm used to from US campgrounds.  The food is like you at dining in an upscale restaurant - but the prices are also.  Camping in Europe is pretty expensive.  I paid over $20 per night plus all the add ons.  Internet is extra, laundry facilities extra, pool access extra and in some cases hot water for a showers extra.  It adds up pretty quick.

Today I will ride back to Milan and meet back up with Ken an Marybeth.  It will be about 450 km so hence the early start.  Looking forward to also visiting with Cristiano again and Sabrina who I haven't seen since Mongolia.

Rijeka.

Rijeka from up in the hills.

Rijeka marina.

The beach - about 75 degrees today.

Somewhere in town.
 
Outside Rijeka near my camp.


No comments: