World Map

World Map

Friday, August 8, 2014

The Rainy Road to Ulan-Ude...

The road from Chita to Ulan-Ude deteriorated considerably from the previous two days.  The good spots were patched and bumpy and the bad spots were no road at all - only dirt and rocky construction zones full of holes.  To as to the fun it decided to rain a good portion of the afternoon. We are currently holed up in a cafe about 250 km outside Ulan-Ude - which was our goal for the day. As it is 6pm now and pouring rain with thunder and lighting, I doubt we will make it there today.  We normally ride through the rain, but this storm was just ridiculous - with thunder and lightening which we don't ride in.  We have gained elevation and topped out at 3600 ft on a couple of passes.  There are more mountains in the distance so the terrain will get interesting as we head west.

Yesterday afternoon I dumped the bike for the first time on the trip.  We were riding through a construction area on a closed road and as I approached the lip intersecting the real road, I had to hit the brakes as traffic was coming and skidded to a stop with the back half of the bike on the dirt and the front wheel on the roadway which was elevated 5 inches.  I went to put my foot down and stabbed air - down went the bike and I hit the dirt.  Once 650 lbs. of loaded bike starts to lean you are basically done.  Luckily no damage to the bike and only a tweeted wrist for me.  I now have done the two things I try the most NOT to do while riding - run into something and fall off the bike.  Luckily both were minor and hopefully I have them out of the way so can run clean moving forward.

It's been pouring for an hour now at this cafe.  I hope we can roll out soon...




1 comment:

Gary Wegener said...

Glad the rainy season only lasts two weeks.