World Map

World Map

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Crash, Bang, Boom...

We got a late start leaving Vlad as we had to collect our deposit from the apartment and the landlord could not meet us until noon.  Armed with local SIM cards we now have unlimited calls and data in Russia - all for the bargain basement price of $40 US for 2 months.  We also stocked up on Rubles at the ATM and camp supplies at the local grocery - great selection!

We hit the road a little after noon and immediately hit the same gridlock on the same street as the day before on the way to the Iron Angles clubhouse.  Mark who was leading got a little impatient and began splitting lanes and slipping between cars from lane to lane.  I was attempting to keep up with them as Ken had the GPS route that would lead us out of town and I didn't want to lose them.  The day before we just shut down the machines and brake coasted down the hill until traffic was moving again.  I wasn't comfortable taking unnecessary risks by splitting lanes with cars aggressively moving in and out of lanes - and had just conveyed this to Ken over the radio when I heard a crunch and looked down to see a piece of plastic on the ground next to the bike.  At first I wasn't sure if it was a piece off my bike or the truck behind me.  I had just split a lane and darted into the lane to the right when the truck went for the same spot.  My rear box had grazed his fender and popped off a plastic body piece.  "Oh shit" was my first thought - this won't be good.

The guy jumped out if his truck and started shouting at me in Russian.  I pulled up to Ken to get his attention and he started shouting louder.  In Russia when there is an accident the vehicles must stay in the same spot it happened regardless of the location or traffic conditions - totally stupid rule.  So there we were sitting in the middle of 5 lanes of gridlock making the traffic situation even worse.  Mark got off his bike and came over and started speaking to the guy in Russian - he had taken lessons for 6 months in Australia so could communicate somewhat with the guy.  Ken and I started looking over the damage - which was a joke.  The piece that had fallen off had clearly come off before.  There was caulk and dry wall screws that had held the part in place.  My barely nicking it had jarred it loose and it fell off.  Not a scratch could be found on my pannier.

He threatened to call the police if I didn't pay for the damage.  As the negotiation was going on, a police car pulled up to check out the situation.  I couldn't understand what the officers said after inspecting the Russian guy's truck, but their expressions and body language seemed to be "are you freaking kidding me Nancy boy?"  They asked Mark if I spoke any Russian, and he said no.  The then shrugged and got back in the police car and left.  

So the Russian guy wanted 6000 Rubles as restitution.  Technically he rear ended me at the front of his truck hit the rear of my bike.  It wasn't worth the hassle and he was still threatening to call the police again, so I just paid him and we were off.  I snapped a couple of pics with my phone. 

The massive damage to his truck.

Notice the caulk Kine at the bumper seam.

No comments: